Invisalign and Adult Braces at RxSmile Frisco Orthodontics, Greg Greenberg DDS have become increasingly popular as a means of achieving beautiful, straight smiles for orthodontic patients over the age of 18 who are dissatisfied with how their teeth look. While in the past, braces were most often seen worn by adolescents and teens; more and more adults are deciding to straighten their teeth to have better oral health and to gain the smile they have always wanted.
Many orthodontic offices report that adults now make up 30-50% of their patients. The Academy of General Dentistry states that over one million orthodontic patients in North America each year are over age 18, and the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) reports a 33.5% increase in adult braces. Trends such as this, coupled with more comfortable, less visible options available for adult braces, make now a great time to consider adult orthodontic treatment at RxSmile Orthodontics; they provide specialized orthodontic care to Frisco, Plano, Little Elm and McKinney.
Why Get Adult Braces?
Adult braces are a great option for patients who are unhappy with the appearance of their teeth. Some of the most common reasons adults decide to get braces include:
- Advice of primary dentist (to avoid oral health problems)
- Large gaps between teeth
- Crooked or misaligned teeth
- Protruding overbite
- Missing teeth –preparations for replacement of missing teeth
- TMJ – Headaches and jaw pain
Patients who were unable to get braces at a younger age can now benefit from the recent advances and innovations that have since been made in orthodontic treatment. Thanks to orthodontic technology, adult braces can produce results faster, while being more comfortable, less expensive, and less noticeable.
Types of adult braces available for adults include:
- Invisalign Clear Braces: Clear dental aligners
- Damon® Braces: Self-ligating dental braces
- Traditional Metal Dental Braces: Traditional metal braces are the most common type of orthodontic dental braces
- Do It Yourself Braces: RxSmile Frisco Orthodontics offers Social Six Braces and Six Month Smiles
Popular options for adult braces include those with clear or smaller brackets that can be utilized without elastic bands (such as ceramic braces), those which involve brackets placed behind the teeth (such as Damon®), and clear removable aligners (such as Invisalign®) since they are much less visible than traditional metal braces. New technology has also made orthodontic treatment more efficient and precise, so the amount of time spent wearing adult braces can be lessened.
All of these options are only available and utilized effectively by an Orthodontic Specialist such as RxSmile Orthodontics, Greg Greenberg DDS
Benefits of Adult Braces
Adult braces can not only improve your smile, but can benefit your overall dental health. Straight teeth can produce a more harmonious relationship between the teeth and jaws which can:
- Alleviate dental pain
- Make cleaning the teeth easier
- Reduce gum disease
- Lessen the risk of tooth decay, tooth loss, and possible jaw bone loss
- Help avoid temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ)
Other benefits of adult braces include:
- Dramatic positive change in appearance: Patients not only look better with straight teeth, but often have a younger appearance.
- Increased self-confidence and well-being: Psychological benefits of straight teeth include raised self-esteem and improved self-image.
- Long-lasting investment: People are living longer, and their teeth need to be as healthy as possible to last a lifetime.
Since teeth can be moved at any age, braces can be utilized on most patients who need to straighten their teeth.
Possible temporary disqualifications for adult braces include:
- Active gum disease: If periodontal disease is present, orthodontic treatment should be postponed until gum treatment is completed.
- Severe misalignment: In some cases of severe misalignment, orthognathic (jaw) surgery may be required to move the jaw into proper position before orthodontic treatment can be successful.
Because adults are typically more compliant with orthodontic advice and treatment, results from adult braces can often be achieved more efficiently with an even more impressive outcome.
Adult braces are changing the lives of our patients at RxSmile in Frisco. If you are interested in improving your smile and finding out if adult braces are right for you, please contact our office for an evaluation.
Our goal at the RxSmile Frisco orthodontics office with Dr. Greg Greenberg is to provide highly personalized and comprehensive orthodontic care for our families in the Frisco, Plano, Little Elm and McKinney metropolitan areas. If you have questions about achieving straighter teeth and would like to make a complimentary appointment with our orthodontist specialist, Dr. Greg Greenberg, please call 972 335 1300 Monday through Thursday, or submit an online appointment request and we will respond within one business day.