People of all ages can benefit from straight teeth and a healthy smile. Braces can not only straighten teeth that shift as we age, but also line up your jaws to give you a better bite, allow you to breath easier when sleeping, space out crowded teeth, and close gaps in your smile. With today’s technology, there’s a variety of treatment options to fit your lifestyle and orthodontic treatment goals. Adult braces are rapidly increasing in popularity and showing no signs of slowing down! Braces aren’t just for teens anymore.
Why Get Adult Braces?
Adult braces are a great option for patients who are unhappy with the appearance of their teeth. Some of the most common reasons adults decide to get braces include:
- Advice of primary dentist (to avoid oral health problems)
- Large gaps between teeth
- Crooked or misaligned teeth
- Protruding overbite
- Missing teeth –preparations for replacement of missing teeth
- TMJ – Headaches and jaw pain
Patients who were unable to get braces at a younger age can now benefit from the recent advances and innovations that have since been made in orthodontic treatment. Thanks to orthodontic technology, adult braces can produce results faster, while being more comfortable, less expensive, and less noticeable.
Orthodontic Treatments for Adults
Types of braces available for adults include:
- Invisalign Clear Aligners
- Passive Self-ligating Braces
- Social Six Braces/Six Month Smiles
Popular options for adult braces include those with clear or smaller brackets that can be utilized without elastic bands, and clear removable aligners (such as Invisalign®) since they are much less visible than traditional metal braces. New technology has also made orthodontic treatment more efficient and precise, so the amount of time spent wearing adult braces can be lessened. All of these options are only available and utilized effectively by an Orthodontic Specialist such as Dr. Greenberg.
Benefits of Adult Braces
Adult braces can not only improve your smile, but can benefit your overall dental health. Straight teeth can produce a more harmonious relationship between the teeth and jaws which can:
- Alleviate dental pain
- Make cleaning the teeth easier
- Reduce gum disease
- Lessen the risk of tooth decay, tooth loss, and possible jaw bone loss
- Help avoid temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ)
Other benefits of adult braces include:
- Dramatic positive change in appearance: Patients not only look better with straight teeth, but often have a younger appearance.
- Increased self-confidence and well-being: Psychological benefits of straight teeth include raised self-esteem and improved self-image.
- Long-lasting investment: People are living longer, and their teeth need to be as healthy as possible to last a lifetime.
Since teeth can be moved at any age, braces can be utilized on most patients who need to straighten their teeth.
Potential Concerns to Delay Treatment
Possible temporary disqualifications for adult braces include:
- Active gum disease: If periodontal disease is present, orthodontic treatment should be postponed until gum treatment is completed.
- Severe misalignment: In some cases of severe misalignment, orthognathic (jaw) surgery may be required to move the jaw into proper position before orthodontic treatment can be successful.
Because adults are typically more compliant with orthodontic advice and treatment, results from adult braces can often be achieved more efficiently with an even more impressive outcome.
Improve your Smile at any age! Book a Complimentary Consultation today.
If you are interested in improving your smile as an adult or senior, contact our office for a complimentary consultation. Call 972-335-1300 Monday through Thursday, or submit an online appointment request and we will respond within one business day.